Friday 17 May 2013

Baby Blanket

I think that every baby needs a special cozy blanket that they can use and treasure for many years. The blanket I made for India when I was pregnant with her still gets used for naps on the couch or to wrap up her dolls or to take on chilly trips in the car. I have a blanket that my nanny crocheted for me when I was younger and it's special because she put so much love into making it and it's something that is useful and I will never outgrow. I wanted to have something similar for this little baby, something that is harder to outgrow than some cute clothes or a little toy.

I like that both blankets reflect where I was at in my life. India's blanket is soft and fluffy and colourful, crochet from all different sized squares and stitched together. It took a lot of planning and designing but was well worth the effort. I taught myself how to knit when India was a baby so this time I wanted to make a blanket that was knitted, a little more earthy but still fun, and used natural fibres.

I knitted this blanket in a sturdy brown wool with an interesting but fairly simple cable pattern. I backed it with cotton fabric so that it would be nice and soft against a little ones sensitive skin. I think the pattern on the fabric is fun without being too 'baby' and will be nice for a little boy or girl. The blanket measures just over a metre square(ish) which I have found is a good size without being too big. The blanket took me nearly 2 months to complete so I'm happy that it's finished and ready for when baby arrives.



No comments:

Post a Comment