Wednesday 15 May 2013

Cloth Nappies

Cloth nappies are better for many reasons, better for you baby's skin- no nasty chemicals (seriously would you like to be wrapped in plastic all day?), better for the environment- less waste it go into landfill, and loads better for your pocket- I dread to think how much people spend on nappies during their baby's nappy wearing years.

I wanted to have some organic nappies for our baby, organic fabric is softer and more sustainable than other fabric. I found some bamboo french terry and regular terry fabric online, it turned out to be thinner than I was expecting so I couldn't make as many nappies as I expected because I had to make them double layered but they are beautifully soft and will be great for our little new born's bottom. I made some booster pads from the organic terry with a bit of a ripped towel we had lying around in the middle to add a bit of extra absorbency.

Nappy squares are so easy to make, even someone with the most basic sewing skills should be able to cut a few squares and overlock or zigzag stitch the edges so they don't fray. The thing I also like about nappy squares is that there are so many ways to fold a nappy, do a quick Google search and you can see that nappy folding really can be an art form!

As my handmade cloth nappy stash is pretty small I also found some organic modern cloth nappies second hand on Ebay which was a lucky find. You can never have enough nappies but this should do us to start with.

French terry nappies on top and regular terry nappies on the bottom.


1 comment:

  1. I agreed with you regarding the outstanding features of modern cloth nappies. No doubt, mostly mothers think organic fabric is softer and more sustainable than other fabric. Really nice post regard handmade nappies &thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete