Sunday 12 May 2013

Nurture

It's important to nurture yourself in the last few weeks of pregnancy. When everything you do and think about is preparing for the birth of your baby, or if you are feeling heavy and exhausted, or if you are nervous, or if you are just super excited and just can't wait to hold your baby it's important to remember to do some things that make you feel special and relaxed- things that remind you to live it the moment and enjoy every second of these beautiful last few weeks.

Because I do most of the school pick ups and drop offs, and all the odd jobs my days are filled with routine and I often don't have a lot of time to enjoy quiet and calm with no agenda. Now that school has started for India and Dave studies full time (and works at home late into the night) I've found a new appreciation for weekends. I've been wanting and meaning to do some more henna on my belly for weeks but my days just run out of time too quickly. I said to myself that I would make time on Saturday to sit quietly on my own and spend some time doing something beautiful. I felt so calm and relaxed after adorning my belly with henna and it made me feel good for the rest of the day.

Henna is such a beautiful thing to do for yourself and even more relaxing if you have someone to do it for you. Gather all the special women in your life and spend the day putting henna on each other or hire a professional. Henna is a great ritual for a Blessingway. I decided against having a Blessingway (and I've never been that keen on baby showers) because most of the really special women in my life have conveniently spread themselves across the country (and the world) so it would be too difficult to organise an event where I could have all these wonderful women close to me. But having such close connections with people that live far away from me has shown me that we don't always need to be physically close to people to be able to draw strength from them.

So my Saturday self nurturing was making time to do henna and enjoy these last few weeks, days and moments of carrying new life inside me.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment