Thursday 30 May 2013

Squats

I think squats are amazing, although I must admit that I didn't always feel this way. I discovered the benefits of squats during my yoga practice in my first pregnancy and, while I didn't love them at first, after practising my squats everyday throughout my pregnancy I grew to love them. These days I practice squats daily and find it quite comfortable to be in a full squat.

Squats relieve tension in your lower back making them perfect for the pregnant woman. They also open the hips, inner thighs and groin which is exactly the area you need suppleness in when you are pregnant. Squats also develop flexibility and strength in your ankles and feet which can help with all that extra weight you are carrying around during pregnancy.

Squats can be challenging to begin with but there are modifications you can make to help make this asana accessible. If your heels do not reach the ground when you come into the squat you can place a folded blanket under them for support, or if your hips feel too tight to come into an unsupported squat you can pull up a bolster, low stool or even a stack of your favourite yoga books.


No comments:

Post a Comment