Saturday 16 November 2013

India's Circle Skirt


I had some beautiful naturally dyed fabric that some friends bought from India for a few months now, I was unsure what to make with the gorgeous fabric so I just sat on it for a while. The fabric is beautiful and soft and falls really nicely so I decided to make a circle skirt. Together with some organic cotton ribbing I quickly whipped up a new skirt for India.

Circle skirts are great for a quick bit of sewing. I discovered that by folding the fabric into quarters and cutting a circle from it at the length India wanted her skirt to be and then cutting a hole for the waist, it meant that I only had to sew the bottom hem and attach a bit of ribbing to the waist. I made the ribbing section quite wide because India likes to wear her skirts and pants low on her hips and this way having a wide and soft band means that it goes up to her waist but won't bother her.

I did most of the sewing on the overlocker but it could easily be sewn with zigzag stitch on the sewing machine.







Sewing clothes for yourself and your loved ones is cheaper, more special and enables you to make conscious and sustainable choices with the materials you buy and the products you support. India loves that she has input in how her wardrobe is designed and made and it shows her that making beautiful clothes can be simple and is very rewarding. 



No comments:

Post a Comment