Friday 21 March 2014

Mio's Pink Romper




I started out with the intention of crocheting Mio a little top from some recycled denim yarn I had in my stash but I just couldn't get it to look how I wanted so after pulling half of it undone multiple times I decided to just crochet the top part and have fabric for the body.



I have already made a pinafore/top with a crochet bust and fabric body before so I wanted to make it a bit different and I thought I give a romper a go.




I've never made a romper before and I wanted to use woven fabric so this was a big experiment for me. I copied the basic shape from one of Mio's rompers making it wider across the crotch and adding width to the waist to accommodate the lack of stretch.




I sewed the sides together then gathered the top of it and sewed it to the crochet part. I then made some bias binding and finished the edges around the crotch and legs.



I sewed a button to the back of the crochet section and crocheted a loop as a button hole.



I had some sew on press studs for the crotch opening in my sewing box that had been in there since Dave's mum gave me her sewing box. Then with a bit of elastic that my friend unpicked from her dress one time when she was over, I sewed along the edge of the legs so they would be slightly gathered.



And that's it, it came together surprisingly easy since I had no idea what I was doing to begin with. I like happy mistakes and adventures that end up with a piece of clothing that I'm happy with!





2 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous little romper! I'm really impressed that you are able to "blag" outfits and make them up as you go along - I'm not that confident in my sewing ability yet! I've just found your blog via Georgia's comments list on FB and you have beautiful pictures, at least one beautiful daughter and splendid balance - you've motivated me to try handstanding again... now I just need to find a space by a wall...

    I'm going to have a bit more of a peruse now - see what else you've been up to ^_^

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jen! With years of failed experiments and things that don't turn out right I've slowly got the hang of making things. I still have much to learn but I'm starting to feel like I have a few skills under my belt!

    ReplyDelete