Thursday 25 June 2015

Orange Peel Vitamin Capsules


I've never really been a fan of orange peel, I remember as a child biting into a fruit buns and spitting it out because I couldn't handle the intense flavour of the peel. To be honest the thought of a chunk of orange peel still sounds gross to me but I have grown to enjoy finely grated zest and the rich orange-y flavour.
I've recently started keeping my orange peels and dehydrating them, I don't like wasting perfectly good and nutritious food and knowing that orange peel contains lots of great nutrients like vitamin C, bioflavinoids, calcium, B group vitamins, and vitamin A along with smaller amounts of other nutrients, I want to make the most of it and put it to use in as many ways as possible.

I have an encapsulator to make my own herb/vitamin/mineral capsules and I've found it to be really useful as a tool for functional and complementary medicine. After dehydrating the peels I grind them in my spice/coffee grinder and then fill the capsules. I take the capsules with vitamin C tablets if I'm feeling run down and because the peels are a raw whole food they help the body to absorb and use the vitamin C. I also take a couple of capsules with my fresh orange juice for that extra health boost or just on it's own.





I've also discovered that the dried peels make a delicious addition to the spices I throw into my tea cup. I'm currently enjoying a cup of cinnamon, ginger and orange peel tea. You can also boil them in water to freshen the air or soak them in witch hazel to make a skin toner or use the ground peels as a body scrub. There are so many uses for orange peel I wonder why I ever threw them away!


No comments:

Post a Comment