Saturday 30 January 2016

Tooth Powder



So, I know there are about a million recipes for toothpaste alternatives out there these days but this is one that I came up with that my kids (8yrs and 2yrs) love, and it made the switch from toothpaste an easy one. After researching ingredients and testing a few things I came up with a recipe that is easy to make, has a minty toothpastey taste and cleans my teeth so well that I don't get any tartar build up like I used to (which means less dentist visits!). At first I thought it would be hard to get used to not having a foamy paste but after I had been using my tooth powder for a while and then went back to toothpaste when I had run out and forgotten to make more, I found the mouth full of foam a really bizarre and kind of gross feeling; so I guess that means I'm well and truly converted.

The recipe includes diatomaceous earth for it's high silica content which is important in the formation of strong enamel and has the added benefit of being gently abrasive to polish teeth and remove plaque and tartar build up. The green clay binds to impurities and toxins in your mouth and also has anti-inflammatory properties as well as containing a variety of important trace minerals. Ground stevia leaf (not to be confused with the chemical filled white 'stevia' you can find in supermarkets) helps to inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria in the mouth that contribute to tooth decay, it also gives a flavor that in my opinion is similar to toothpaste. Lastly, the peppermint essential oil has antiseptic properties and gives the tooth powder that minty toothpastey taste.


1/4 cup diatomaceous earth
1/4 cup green clay (bentonite clay will give similar benefits)
1 tsp ground stevia leaf
20 drops peppermint essential oil

Mix ingredients together thoroughly and store in an airtight container. To use, simply wet the toothbrush and dip it in the powder.


Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, I share this information as it has been beneficial to my own and my family's health. I encourage you to do your own research and if in doubt consult your doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment