Friday 17 May 2013

Postpartum Survival Kit

When India was born I had my mum with us so there was plenty of help to go round and she gave me lots of little tips (things that never occur to you until the baby comes) when I needed them so I felt pretty on top of things from the start. Life's a bit different now, we have India to take care of and we need to make sure those first days as a big sister are special for her too. This time we are planning on have just the two midwives, Dave and India (and me and bub of course!) so I wanted to prepare a special little survival kit of goodies- things that will make me feel nurtured and supported and special in those precious first days after the baby is born.

There are lots of things you could include in your postpartum survival kit, I think there needs to be a combination of essentials and things that make you feel special so here is what I came up with...

- Biodegradable nappies:  For baby these can be really helpful in the first days with all that meconium, it can help make things a little less messy; but, I actually included these as for me because that first day or two the bleeding can be a bit heavy and I found that after India was born it was much easier and more comfortable to have a nappy in my pants.

- Cloth pads: These are both an essential and something that make me feel special. I made some 2 or 3 years ago and I always feel good when I've got my period because they feel nicer than plastic and I know that they are not just going to end up in landfill. Washing them has never been a problem, I quite enjoy the ritual and it really doesn't take much time. I knew I would need more than 6 (I usually only use them as liners because I have a menstrual cup) so I made some more, plus it's always nice to have new things to use at this special time.

- Belly binding cloth: Belly binding is an ancient Ayurvedic postpartum ritual. When a baby is born the mother is left with a big space in her belly, in this space vata or air can accumulate and upset your system. Belly binding supports your organs, improves elimination and digestion, aids the body in returning to its original shape and is energetically grounding. I knew nothing of belly binding when I had India but instinct told me my belly needed support in those first few weeks after she was born. Around 4 metres of muslin, cheese cloth or other thin fabric made from a natural fibre is what you'll need to wrap around your belly from hips to ribcage.

- Breast pads: As with cloth menstrual pads I'm a firm believer in cloth breast pads to make you feel special when your boobs are literally overflowing with milk. You can make your own (which I did) or there are plenty of online stores that sell them as well as mainstream shops so you are sure to find something nice.

- Belly, boob and bottom balm: Great for pregnant bellies, sore boobies and babies bottoms I have been in the habit of making my own moisturiser for a long time now. The great thing is that you can tweak it and add things that you really like and you know exactly what is going into it. For the base I usually put half coconut oil and half cocoa butter and then add different oils depending on what I feel like or what I think I need. Lavender oil is antibacterial and is calming, and tea tree oil is antibacterial, anti fungal, anti viral and helps with fast healing so it's a good one to add for your baby's bottom and sore nipples. I like to use organic ingredients and because I make it all myself there are no preservatives or other nasties which means that I know we are getting the best.

- Raspberry leaf tea: Drinking raspberry leaf tea throughout pregnancy is great for toning your uterus in preparation for labour but it will also help in returning it to its original size after the baby is born. Raspberry leaf tea also helps with breast milk production and boosts your vitamin and mineral intake.

- Gluten free porridge mix: When the weather is cold, every morning I make buckwheat porridge for India and myself. We both love it more than any other breakfast. I grind the buckwheat groats every morning in a coffee/spice grinder to keep all the nutrients in tact but with a little baby around I thought it would be a good idea to have a jar of pre-ground mix ready so that I can make breakfast super quick and don't have to be standing up or mucking around (or confusing Dave with too many instructions) longer than I need to. I'm not the greatest with following recipes, I'm more of a guesser when it comes to making food so my porridge mix is made up of buckwheat, linseeds and pepitas (pumpkin seeds)- mostly buckwheat. India and I like it served with honey, chia seeds and some organic milk; banana and coconut are also tasty additions if we have them around.

- Soup mix: Already I have in mind what I want to have to eat after the baby is born but things might be a bit hectic so it's best to have as much prepared as possible. Soups are great in cold weather and they make me feel nourished and warm which is something I know I will appreciate after labour. I made a jar of soup mix with a list of fresh ingredients that need to be added to make (in my opinion) the best soup ever. I created this soup years ago and although I don't really follow a recipe I put the same things in every time because it really is the best combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment